ICT Development Directorate.
The ICT Development Directorate is one of the core service centres that have been set up to provide information services within the University. It provides services in the areas of Information and Communication Technology.
Information and Communication Technologies have become one of the most useful sources of information in the last few years all over the world, particularly for the development of educational resources. As more information is made available in a variety of formats and media in many locations, the need to manage information efficiently becomes more and more important. In addition with the coming of information revolution, more and more information is available and accessible. Analyzing, interpreting, and making use of the data has been difficult using the classical or manual analysis.
In this regard, the use of ICT and utilization of up to date technologies could be utmost important. Hence, recognizing the potential of ICT for all-round, Assosa University launched the ICT internet cafe Center to provide different ICT services to the community and Staffs of Campus, to enable all academic, administrative and managerial staff with the required competencies in ICT and to carry out internal and international communication as well as access to resources that support the Assosa University’s learning, research and other activities.
“ICT Development Directorate’s mission is to provide sustainable ICT services and facilitate Change through the effective use of ICT in the University”.
The vision of the Directorate is to provide a customer centred ICT and Business Development service that:
- Is responsive to the needs of a diverse range of users
- Is a valued and integral part of the University’s academic teaching-learning processes
- Provides the lead in access to electronic forms of information
- Exploits technology to its full potential
- Leads and manages information resources in the University
Provides leadership in the area of ICT to ensure the effective use of academic and business information systems within the University
The ICT Development Directorate recently took part in a University wide exercise to identify its core values and to demonstrate how it puts those values into practice on a daily basis.
We will achieve the plan through developing a service and culture that is:
- Professional and friendly
- Proactive as well as reactive
- Customer focused
- Collaborative and sharing
- Forward thinking and reflective
The objectives set to achieve the vision and missions are:
- To lead, manage and develop ICT in the University
- To provide excellent customer centered services, that are responsive to the changing needs of the user
- To maintain an effective staff development program to ensure that ICT staff continue to develop the necessary skills to provide high-quality services and support
- To promote teaching and learning with ICT and the development of ICT skills in all staff and students
- To ensure data integrity for all users
- Provide ICT services, such as Internet Access,e-services, e-Resources and Computer Access Pools.
- Set up, operate and maintain dedicated server applications for the different ICT services.
- Perform a proper management of the available ICT resources, including Internet bandwidth.
- Design and develop support tools according to the needs of the Assosa University community.
- Establish ICT communication and collaboration between students, teachers and staff of the University.
- Provide maintenance to the ICT infrastructure and services.
- Establish an ICT User Policy.
- Controls Network security at all levels including desktop, services, network and the gateway;
- Ensures that hardware/software application server platforms are up-to-date, accessible, secure and operating normally;
Services under ICT Development Directorate
The university will wide computer network as basis for several services which will improve the university's teaching and learning process. ICT services that will be provided were:
- E-mail services: The university has its own mail server with domain name Given from ETC depending on the number of employees of the university who will using the e-mail service.
- Official website of Assosa University: Among several services that the ICTDD runs and maintains, the Assosa University Official website will be one of the most important one which is expected under ICTDD.
- Automated Registrar System: This is a distributed software system that will handle students’ records. The server, maintained by office of the registrar will be connected to client machines that are scattered across the university through the university network.
- Library Automation System: This service will automate the services that the library will be able to provide in digital library and develop E-library in the university for near future.
- Video conferencing service: To supplement the videoconferencing terminals to join with Ministry of Education.
- Smart Classrooms: The smart classrooms are equipped with multimedia teaching facilities such as LCD Projectors and computers. The future of the classrooms includes connecting them to the computer network so that lecturers supplement their lectures with resources from the Internet and the university servers.